Many area arts organizations and businesses have given strong support to Flora Lofts, and more are needed. Each letter moves Flora Lofts closer to receiving the approval and funding needed to begin construction by the end of 2013. To show your support for the Flora Lofts please click here.
“In a very important way, Flora Lofts completes the vision for the Dallas Arts District by adding a place for artists to live, work, develop and prosper in the District named for their profession.” - Robert Meckfessel, President, La Reunion TX
Flora Lofts is a proposed mid-rise development that will add an important new dimension to the Dallas Arts District, enhancing the ambiance of the area and helping make the area an even more attractive destination in Dallas. By providing live/work space for artists and their families and numerous public amenities within the Arts District, Flora Lofts:
- Adds to the richness and vitality of the Dallas Arts District;
- Provides 47 apartment homes for Dallas artists and their families to live and work in this artistically diverse environment;
- Is designed to be visually compatible with and add to the ambiance of the Arts District; and
- Contributes in important ways to the city for which this District is so important.
AND THE ARTISTS
The concept for the proposed Flora Lofts was developed in the belief that artists as residents create value within existing and emerging neighborhoods – a belief confirmed in the experience of cities across the nation.
It was also created with a goal of helping complete the original vision, articulated in the Sasaki Plan for the Dallas Arts District, which included “a place where the serious artist can work and/or live” within the Arts District.
Flora Lofts is good for artists and their families, and for the Dallas arts community. It provides an important opportunity for artists to live within the creative milieu of the Arts District.
- Without it, residential space in this unique cultural district is not affordable for most artists; and
- With it, combining a mix of qualified artists in one Arts District location can fuel the creative growth of Dallas-area artists.
AND THE ARTS DISTRICT
The Dallas Arts District is the cornerstone and catalyst for creative vitality in the Dallas area, home to the city’s leading visual and performing arts institutions. The Arts District makes Dallas a truly unique arts destination.
Flora Lofts leverages these existing cultural assets to strengthen the social fabric of this vital Dallas community.
To be located on underutilized land within the Dallas Arts District, Flora Lofts will bring the District a sustainable, critical mix of uses that have added vitality to neighborhood life in other cities and, here in Dallas, will create an exceptional place that will add to people’s desire to experience daily urban living.
In this way, Flora lofts will foster vitality and safety, while enhancing livability in the Dallas Arts District. Thirty-nine of the units are affordable for artists who would not otherwise be able to live in the Arts District creative environment.
As a mixed-use, mid-rise development combining artist family housing, pedestrian amenities and additional parking in the Arts District, Flora Lofts will:
- Add vitality to the Arts District;
- Expand the services available to existing residents and employees;
- Encourage more tourists to visit and spend more time in the Art District; and
- Encourage Arts District Patrons to stay in the District after attending performances and visiting exhibitions.
The six-story structure at 2121 Flora Street will feature upper stories that are stepped back from Flora Street, with landscaped terraces on those floors. The artist housing on the upper floors will be blended with street-level retail filled with uses like a café, gastropub, floral shop, technology gallery and other creative neighborhood benefits.
FLORA LOFTS AND DALLAS
The Dallas Arts District is this city’s cultural centerpiece, an asset of immeasurable value to Dallas.
Flora Lofts will add value to the Arts District and the City. The value created by this development will enhance the municipal and downtown improvement area tax base and increase area property values, replacing a surface parking lot with a mixed-use development that adds vitality to the District and Downtown Dallas. Artists as residents create value within existing and emerging neighborhoods, as has been demonstrated time and again by artist housing programs in urban areas throughout the U.S.
SUSTAINABLE LIVING DOWNTOWN
Flora Lofts will be designed to obtain LEED Gold Certification by constructing a sustainable building that will utilize natural resources in an ecologically sound manner, minimize maintenance requirements and perform at a highly efficient level of energy consumption. Green amenities planned into Flora Lofts include:
- Rainwater harvesting
- Water-conserving irrigation
- Energy efficient HVAC systems
- A passive solar building envelope and shading system
- Vegetative roof cover